Local Service is an integral part to the Youthlinc Service Year. All humanitarians in the Youthlinc Service year will complete 50 hours of service in their local community before their capstone trip. At least 30 of these hour will be completed at one place, your main service site. The remainder can be fulfilled with miscellaneous service hours.
WHY LOCAL SERVICE?
- Since Youthlinc’s inception in 1999, Youthlinc Service Year Humanitarians and Alum Leaders have contributed more than 256,000 hours of local service throughout Utah.
- Based on our findings, the best volunteer opportunities consist of: Hands-on service with people, Positive mentoring atmosphere, and a Genuine need
- Research shows that when volunteers make an emotional connection, a service ethic takes root within the individual and that is how young people start on the road to becoming lifetime humanitarians.
- A volunteer atmosphere that is positive and encouraging creates a space where volunteers feel comfortable to ask questions.
- Volunteers also feel appreciated and needed by the organization.
- Students are asked to complete 50 hours of local service of with at a main service site that demonstrates a genuine need whether it is interacting with the elderly, increasing literacy rates, or raising awareness about water conservation.
Your main service site will be the place that you do most of your service. We have found that by becoming a continued and relied upon volunteer, you will start to see the positive change you can make in your own community. The requirements for Main Service Site are as follows:
-Positive Mentoring Atmosphere
-Hands on in person sevice
Miscellaneous service can be completed in many different ways. The only requirements for what is allowed is that you can answer yes to the following three questions:
-Is this service helping someone who has a genuine need?
-Is this service improving the community in some way?
-Is this service creating or improving connection between me and another person or group of people?
LOCAL SERVICE TIMELINE
10 LOCAL SERVICE HOURS DUE
At least 5 at Main Service Site
15 LOCAL SERVICE HOURS DUE
At least 10 at Main Service Site
25 LOCAL SERVICE HOURS DUE
At least 15 at Main Service Site
30 LOCAL SERVICE HOURS DUE
At least 20 at Main Service Site
40 LOCAL SERVICE HOURS DUE
At least 25 at Main Service Site
50 LOCAL SERVICE HOURS DUE
At least 30 at Main Service Site
While in country, you will have the opportunity to serve as well. Learn about the different projects, commitees, and timeline for your international service experience