Every year, Youthlinc must raise $140,000 in sponsorships so that we can create lifetime humanitarians through our Service Year. 150 students annually are accepted into the program: committed to contribute 12,000 hours of local service and attend a monthly meeting where they plan (under the direction of amazing volunteer mentors) international service in villages in Kenya, Mexico, Peru, Thailand, and Cambodia.
In return for what amounts to a ‘part time job’ of service, each student EARNS a sponsorship – regardless of family income – that pays a portion of their cost. This sponsorship holds each student accountable for his or her commitment of local service and planning. Unless that commitment is complete, the student does not go on the international service trip.
These sponsorships – your commitment to invest in the humanitarian service ethic of Utah’s young people – are ultimately what make Youthlinc an effective youth service program. Though only 5-20% of our incoming class of students has any significant service history, 60-93% of our alums (depending on survey year) report that they continue to volunteer regularly. This is an amazing jump in service commitment.
Our Annual Benefit is a key way we raise sponsorship funds. Come to our Annual Benefit on Thursday, May 19 at La Caille and you will experience this:
1. A sold out crowd of Youthlinc supporters and their friends: the nicest people you will ever meet.
2. Youthlinc 2011 Service Year students from all over Utah to greet you, meet you, and make your evening filled with their enthusiasm for local and international service.
3. The most unusual silent auction you’ve ever seen: treasures from all of our international sites, as well as interesting items from all over Utah.
4. The piano stylings of Craig Kaelin, renowned Utah musician and recording artist
5. Ethereal harp music from Utah artist Lauren Mitchell
6. Flash mob entertainment by Acting Up, SCLERA YOUTH THEATRE performers
7. A photo booth where you can be as serious or ridiculous as you please, all to create a memory of the 2011 Youthlinc Annual Benefit with friends and family.
8. Really delicious and elegant food at La Caille, whose generous in-kind donations have made this evening possible.
9. Our emcee: 2010 Utah Young Humanitarian (and Youthlinc Service Year Kenya alum) Kajsa Vlasic
10. Our invocation by Reverend Scott Hayashi of the Utah Episcopal Diocese
11. The 2011 Lifetime Humanitarian Award given each year to an individual who exemplifies a life of service in Utah.
12. The 2011 Utah Young Humanitarian Award given to a Utah secondary or undergraduate student who excels at giving back to the community. This young person receives a $5,000 college scholarship, and there are three $1,000 runner-up Awards, given by the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation.
13. Live auction of an original oil painting by Hser Ner Moo Center teen refugees who are part of our Real Life in SLC, afterschool mentoring program
100% of the proceeds of our 2011 Annual Benefit will directly support Youthlinc because of the generous sponsorship of US Bank, Nate Wade Subaru, and Heritage Bank. Thank you wonderful sponsors!
Thank you incredible Benefit committee: Charlene Barton, Scott Bawden, Carolyn Buma, Shelly Burningham, Brandee Butler, Patricia Egbert, Nicole Ekberg, Brenda Hall, Margareta Hjorth-Vlasic, Shauna Hoj, Teresa Larsen, Maria Moynihan, Ellie Nazzal, Jody Osteyee, DeeAnna Phelps, Kim Smart, Julia Wee, Andrea White, Judy Zone
To rsvp, call our office 801-467-4417, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to our website www.youthlinc.org click Donate at the top of the page, click the DONATE NOW button and pay by check or credit card in seconds. Be sure to Specify Fund: Annual Benefit RSVP $75 p/p $750 for a table of ten.
Thank you for your support and we’ll see you on May 19 at La Caille.