Where Are They Now?
Every wonder what the 2014 Young Humanitarian Award finalists are up to now? This blog will answer all your questions.
Emily is currently working on her Master’s of Social Work at the University of Utah. Since receiving the award, Emily primary focus has been on school, which has left little time to take on extra projects. However, Emily continues to volunteer with the Rape Recovery Center answering crisis-line calls and just recently completed training to serve as a member of their hospital response team. Emily also works with Planned Parenthood as a citizen lobbyist, which requires her to sit in on committee meetings to gather information and use social media to inform social circles and the community about current legislative issues. Emily recently got engaged and looks forward to marrying her partner this August.
Two years ago Brian founded Limitless, a 501(c)3 non-profit. Since receiving the award, Brian continues to do outstanding things such as…
- World Record Breaking Scooter Ride from St. George to Kaysville, Utah
- 380+ miles traveled
- 18 sponsors
- $30,000 raised of merchandise and money donated
- 300+ news articles published nationwide, including from: KSL, Fox 13 News, and the Salt Lake
- Presented the “Limitless Message” at the High School Leadership Summit in St. George to 250+ high school students
- Guest speaker at the American Diabetes Association’s Step Out Walk for Diabetes
- Contributed to the #CircleTheWorld—which raise Diabetes Awareness by arranging 2,000 blue Christmas lights circling the upper left portion of the Y in Provo
- BYU Special Olympics Program
- Coached the BYU Soccer team to their first ever Soccer Gold Medal at the State Championships
- Coached the Basketball team to, for the first time, compete in an higher division than ever before
- Spent 3 weeks spent in Nicaragua on my 3rd Medical Mission, offering free medical aid to the impoverished
Please view pictures and videos of Limitless events and activities at: http://www.youarelimitless.org/gallery.html
Madison is currently studying Cinematic Arts and Technology at Cal State University, Monterey Bay. If she isn’t studying, you will find Madison playing water polo at the D2 level. Madison is a part of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee Secretary, where she plans service activities for student athletes. Madison has volunteered at Dorothy’s Kitchen, the local homeless resource center in Salinas. She made sandwiches and collected donations for the Salvation Army. Madison organized events for a local breast cancer awareness group. Currently, Madison is helping plan a campus-wide food drive as well as a Read Across America event at nearby elementary schools. Madison continues to stay active with Backyard Broadcast and the issue of sex trafficking by acting as a mentor to the high school station chiefs in Utah. In fact, she is working with her sister to partner with local faith groups to host showings of a documentary and panel discussion on the issue of sex trafficking.