Looking for a place to volunteer?
The Youthlinc Utah Local Service Directory is Utah’s only statewide resource for selecting student-friendly volunteer opportunities. This interactive online Directory allows users to find hands-on service opportunities in a positive mentoring atmosphere. Past Youthlinc Service Year students volunteered with each of the 275+ organizations in the Directory and recommended that Youthlinc add that organization to the Directory. The Directory continues to grow each year through recommendations.
What makes the Utah Local Service Directory so unique?
- 275+ organizations recommended for students by students
- Find hands-on volunteer opportunities in a positive mentoring atmosphere
- Track your hours and verify them with a supervisor
- Post reviews about your volunteer experience
- Search by
- Utah geographic area
- Kind of service: for example, youth, disability, healthcare oriented, literacy, hunger, etc.
- Age requirements
Why is hands-on service and a positive mentoring atmosphere so important?
Since Youthlinc’s inception in 1999, over 2,500 Youthlinc Service Year students have contributed more than 200,000 hours of local service throughout Utah. Last year, a total of 242 Youthlinc Service Year students and 67 Alum Leaders contributed 21,930 hours of local service throughout Utah. At the end of each year, our students provide feedback which we use to determine the best places to volunteer. Based on our findings, the best volunteer opportunities consist of:
- Hands-on service with people
- Positive mentoring atmosphere
- Genuine need
Research shows that when volunteers make an emotional connection, a service ethic takes root within the individual and that is how young people start on the road to becoming lifetime humanitarians.
A volunteer atmosphere that is positive and encouraging creates a space where volunteers feel comfortable to ask questions. Volunteers also feel appreciated and needed by the organization.
All of the organizations in the Directory demonstrate a genuine need whether it is interacting with the elderly, increasing literacy rates, or raising awareness about water conservation.
How can my organization join the Directory?
Every year Youthlinc Service Year students volunteer with many of the organizations in the Directory, but it is a great tool for anyone who is looking for volunteer opportunities throughout Utah. Universities, high schools, churches, and other organizations throughout the state are welcome to utilize all of the functions of the Directory to help guide their service efforts and track service hours.
- Recruit engaged and reliable volunteers
- Advertise events and volunteer needs on the homepage of the Directory and Youthlinc’s social media
- Update agency contact information at any time
- Allow volunteers to log and verify service hours with a volunteer supervisor
If you would like to join the Directory please contact the Youthlinc Local Service Director, Shannon Moss, at email@example.com or 801-467-4417 ext 3.