2019 Youthlinc Real Life Refugee Scholarship Winners Youthlinc is pleased to announce a new…
10 Tips For A Strong Application
If you want your 2018 Youthlinc Utah Young Humanitarian Award application to stand out, this article is for you!
Here are 10 tips for a strong application:
- Review the Judging Rubric before you do anything. This will help you understand what the judges are looking for so you can emphasize these points throughout your application.
- Many applicants focus on international service. While this is noteworthy, this Award is for Utah’s young humanitarians, so community service should be a central focus in the application. Definitely focus more on service right here in Utah rather than international service.
- The judges are looking for focused service. If you have spent a significant amount of time with a particular population or issue, focus your application towards that area of service in order to demonstrate that you have made a significant impact in that area.
- Be sure to ask two individuals who have supervised your service activities to complete the Recommendation Form sooner than later! You want to make sure they have enough time to elaborate on the ranking section and provide specific examples.
- Check out the Service Resumé Example! Don’t just list what you have done; make sure you describe what you have done with specific accomplishments. This will help the judges get a better picture of what you have accomplished as a volunteer and leader!
- As you write your essays, it is important to note that specific examples and clear expression are more important than length. That being said, essays that stand out typically take full advantage of the 2 page essay. If you are below the 2 page limit, you might want to consider what you can add to strengthen your essay.
- Ask someone to proofread your application before you submit! It is always good to get a fresh perspective, plus you might catch some typos.
- Don’t skip reading the Guidelines! Make sure you are available on Saturday, April 14th and Saturday, May 12th before you apply. If your application makes it into the top-10, you will need to attend an interview on Saturday,April 14th and the Youthlinc Annual Benefit on Saturday, May 12th . If you can’t attend, your application will be disqualified.
- You can’t save your application and come back later. First, read the online application carefully. Second, send the Recommendation Form to your recommenders. Third, complete your service resumé and essays and get a copy of your transcript. Last but not least, fill out the online application and hit submit. It’s as easy as that!
- Remember whether you make it into the interview round or not, you are a young humanitarian because you serve others!
Good luck! You might even be surprised what you learn about yourself as you complete the application. Easton Bowring, 2017 Finalists, writes, “The greatest thing about applying for the scholarship isn’t about winning the award. It was in the journey. It was through the essays and interviews that I realized that you can make a difference by doing the little things in your community. There is nothing more beautiful than a genuine heart with a desire to make a difference in the world.”
Application Deadline: Thursday, March 1, 2018